What happens after a very long dormancy period?

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum What happens after a very long dormancy period?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tee
    Participant

Hi, I’m new here. I was diagnosed 2 years ago.

I got herpes from a guy who had hsv1 orally, and it was protected sex, but well…oral was involved.

After that first outbreak I was expecting another after a few months. the waiting turned into 2 years which is where I am now.

I had a long term partner who wanted to have unprotected sex even though he knew my status. Since then he’s not had any symptoms either but hasn’t been tested.

I’m trying to understand if the risk of transmission decreases over time. And what is the risk of transmission for someone who’s been dormant 2 years since the first outbreak. I know the risk never goes away, but does the frequency of outbreaks affect transmissibility at all?

BeLove
    Participant

I think the risk may always be there and it can be dormant in someone who never does have an outbreak. My husband told me early in our marriage he was positive from getting it in his single years long ago. We’ve been married 31 years and I only contracted it 2 years ago when my immune system was severely compromised, I got a severe outbreak. It now is every few day thing for me to have itching but it is under control and nothing like the first outbreak where I could hardly walk. He has not had an outbreak for at least 10 years or more. I wish you well!

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by BeLove.
    Tee
    Participant

Ok, that’s kinda reassuring to know, although I’m aware things are different for everybody.

I really wish I had joined this forum sooner! After so much researching it just showed me that no article can tell you much because everyone’s experience with hsv is so different.

Thanks!

BeLove
    Participant

Yes, very true that every experience is different for different people. I never did have the “blister” sores but had open raw sores that I could hardly walk and had no idea what was happening and tried everything until I thought maybe a yeast infection and went to get diagnosed. The doctor thought yeast as well but turned out it was not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.