Tips for Disclosing

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum Tips for Disclosing

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mplacko1297
    Participant

A few months back, I was diagnosed with HSV-1 generally. At first I was devastated and decided to take a break from dating. Since then, I have done a lot of research and talked to my doctor and come to terms with it myself. However, now I’m ready to start dating or at least having sex again and I’m terrified of what others will think. Does anyone have tips or encouragement for disclosing to others. When has been the best time? What kind of things do you say? Etc. Any help is appreciated!

Starryeyed
    Participant

Hi there! I’m not sure how much help I’ll be but I’ve disclosed quite a few times and I’ve had every reaction you could imagine, from them thinking I had leprosy and them going crazy to acceptance and wanting education on the subject. I’m fairly lucky that I rarely have OBs and they are far and few between. I found that deciding on a time and being direct but concerned for them is the best approach. Sometimes I’ll text it to them.. which is probably the easiest but not the best way to approach it, but it gets the job done. I don’t think it’ll ever be easy, but the person will feel what you are feeling. So try to remain calm and frame it so they feel like you care about them and their health.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.