Struggling to accept

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum Struggling to accept

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stefanie
    Participant

Hello my name is Stefanie, I’m 26 years old and I recently found out I have Herpes.

About a week ago I had to go to the hospital because I was experiencing all kinds of symptoms, from swollen vulva, bumps, blisters etc.
    I was / am in so much pain.
    I got tested and it came back positive for HSV.
    I was all alone in the hospital for 13 hours doped up, it wasn’t until after coming home I realized this is real and not a dream.

I’ve been struggling day to day trying to wrap my head around this.
    I feel like a different person.
    I have so many emotions and don’t know what’s next.

I told my partner i tested positive and he is going to get checked.
    I feel disgusting and I am concerned, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone let alone someone I love.
    My partner has been very supportive and keeps trying to remind me this “ outbreak “ won’t last forever but I can’t seem to shake my head from knowing I will have herpes for the rest of my life.

Struggling to accept my Diagnosis
    Is there anyone that would like to chat please message me.
    I could really use a friend Especially someone who can relate.

girlsupport
    Participant

Hi Stefanie,

I totally get were you are coming from. I found out I had herpes about 10 months ago now. It has definitely been a journey of self-confidence and self love but what I have realized is that SO MANY people also have herpes. After finding out I had herpes my sister was also interested and during her routine pap test asked to get swabbed. The doctor said they don’t swab for herpes anymore because almost everyone would come back positive. So please don’t feel alone or ashamed, I have realized that so many people have it but just don’t speak about it.

In terms of pain, hopefully you have been prescribed something to help the virus go back to being dormant, for example Valaciclovir is what I was prescribed so please speak with your doctor as I’m not sure if this is what everyone is supposed to take. And just so you know the first outbreak is the worst! A great thing to use to help with the sores is diaper rash zink cream, I used extra strength ‘Zincofax’. It kind of creates a a smooth barrier so it is not so painful all day.

Moving forward, I know this is going to take some time to accept but really make a point to be patient with yourself and kind to yourself. Someone recently told me that as crappy as getting herpes is, you were just living your life and that is what you are supposed to do! So don’t let this hold you back from continuing to live it to the fullest.

I hope this helped ease some of your concerns. Feel free to reach out if you have anymore questions.

Take care, xx

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.