New to group/ newly diagnosed -seeking advice

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum New to group/ newly diagnosed -seeking advice

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, I am 29 years old and was recently diagnosed with HSV-1 genitally in June. I had what felt like my very first initial outbreak, as I had never experienced this sort of pain or lesions down there ever before. I went to my OBGYN a couple days later where she did a blood test and swab (as my lesions were still active). She confirmed that I was positive for HSV-1, but my blood test showed it was not a new or recent exposure. Which made sense as I have been with the same person for five years, whom also has never had any symptoms of this. But how could I just now have an initial outbreak now if I’ve had it?? Is this possible? I am so confused and scared as my doctor did not have time to provide any information other than offer medication if i wanted it. I have had yeast infections and vaginitis in the past (so i was told) but wonder if that was actually the HSV. I did so much research on my own to try and understand this and started to remember that a few days prior to the outbreak my boyfriend gave me oral, then had sex and I had inflammation after due to friction and lack of lubricant. Also, I had tried a deep cleanse and was under extreme amount of stress not long before the first outbreak occurred and wonder if all of this combined could have caused it to finally come to the surface. But once again he never had any symptoms in his mouth and anywhere else. Is this possible? Thank you for listening/reading. I look forward to being a part of this community and sharing my journey with you all. Thank you

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi 🙂
    I’m going to start by saying I hope you’re doing okay, I know it’s not any fun to experience this and can make you feel pretty low, and I definitely relate to your issue of not quite understanding how it happened.
    I am by no means a medical professional, but having read up on many people’s experiences, I think it’s possible for someone not to have had symptoms and given it to you, especially since I believe this is how I got it! There’s only one person I’ve been involved with who I didn’t ask if they’d ever had a cold sore etc. and I didn’t ask him because we’d been involved months earlier. so either he gave it to me and I reacted months later, or I had the same thing as you where the person who gave it to me through oral sex had never had symptoms or never noticed them since the others said they’d never had a cold sore! Seems to be a sneaky virus for sure leaving us all asking. I have also read that stress and inflammation after sex can trigger an outbreak, so that is also highly possible that it’s been dormant for some time.
    I know that’s not a definitive answer, but I can say you’re not alone in having these uncertainties and the same possible way of transmission seeming to not make sense – you’re not crazy for questioning it all, it’s very confusing!

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you so much Charlotte, I really appreciate your response! You’re totally right it is not any fun experiencing this, being so confused, sad and not having answers. I am so glad I now have this community of strong women to turn to and help support. I hope you are doing well also! thank you so much again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.