new mom

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum new mom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    molly
    Participant

My boyfriend and I have Been together for about a year. We had sex twice before I became pregnant. Miraculously we fell in love and are now living together and our son is 11weeks old today. Three days ago I went to my obgyn for what I thought was a UTI and prolonged soreness from recently having my son. When she said the h word my heart stopped. I was certain I was tested for all STD/STI while I was pregnant but unfortunately herpes was the only one they didn’t test for. My partner and I are slowly coming to terms with our new reality and are being supportive instead of playing the blame game. Neither of us knew so how can we be angry at each other.my main concern now is my son’s health. Can he be infected since I was unaware of my diagnosis and had a vaginal delivery? Am I not able to kiss him now because of my diagnosis? He seems perfectly healthy in all areas but I cannot stop myself from thinking the worst. Any advice or similar stories?

Dr. Kelly
    Keymaster

Molly,

I know how scary something like that can be! The chances of a baby contracting neonatal herpes is extremely low (less than 1%). So, I do think that he is totally fine for he should have had symptoms by now. Assuming you only have genital symptoms, then there is no concern with your child contracting the virus from you kissing him. Most children contract herpes from loved ones who kiss them while having a cold sore. So, the only precaution for you to take at this point is to not allow any family or friends to kiss your son if they have or have recently had a cold sore.

Go ahead and take a deep breath. It will all be okay!

Live. Love. Thrive.
    Dr. Kelly

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.