Menstruation

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum Menstruation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Calm
    Participant

Menstruation is definitely a trigger for me. I get fissures in the perineal area at the time of month.

This concerns me as I am now pregnant and clearly in my case hormones affect the reactivation of the virus. I am wondering if my OBs will become worse as my pregnancy progresses (and I am scared).

Dr. Kelly
    Keymaster

Each woman is different and it is hard to say how you will respond. One of the best things you can do for yourself is make sure you are on a great prenatal vitamin with more than normal amounts of Omega 3’s. I would also suggest proactively using stress reduction techniques. One of my favorites is using meditation every day. Keeping your stress levels under control can work wonders for you and your baby.

Live. Love. Thrive.
    Dr. Kelly

anonymous
    Participant

Hello Trying to Stay Calm,

Just wanted to see how your experience has been. I too seem to have menstration as a trigger and am thinking of getting pregnant this year. Wanted to see what your experience has been. I am going to start taking omega 3 to see if that helps. Are you taking the medication daily during your pregnancy?

Calm
    Participant

Hi Rose,

Good to hear from someone else in this situation!

I am now about 8 weeks pregnant and I haven’t noticed anything different really. No outbreaks (although (apologies for graphic info) my pubic hair seems to be rather sensitive but I am not even sure if this is related to herpes at all – this virus confuses me!).

So thus far I would say that being pregnant doesn’t bring on outbreaks the way menstruation did for me. I’ll let you know how I get on if you are interested.

Wishing you so much luck! From what I’ve read around the topic giving birth with herpes is fairly low risk – especially if you know you have it and have had it for some time, and make your midwife etc aware. So I am hopeful that it won’t make a jot of difference.

I am taking the maximum strength Pregnacare multivitamin, which has all sorts and comes with a separate daily omega 3 capsule. It includes all sorts…vitamin D, folic acid and others. Incidentally I noticed it also includes arginine which I have read is a trigger, but I figured my baby getting the best vitamins was more important than me potentially having an outbreak (and my outbreaks are so mild that they aren’t really clinically recognisable as herpes – although that comment reminds me how hopeless most doctors are at recognising and diagnosing herpes, in my experience).

If you meant am I taking any sort of acyclovir or repressive medication, then the answer is no. I never have done and I wouldn’t want to whilst pregnant. I think they suggest taking it towards the end of pregnancy to prevent outbreaks near delivery, and if it makes sense I might do that.

Hope this helps!

Calm
    Participant

Hi Dr Kelly,

I wanted to ask your opinion on suppressive treatment at the end of pregnancy – the last few weeks. Did you take any medication? I have heard suggestions that one can go on either an acyclovir drip at delivery or take the pills in the run up to labour.

I wouldn’t want to take anything that might harm my baby, but I also don’t want to be the cause of harm to my baby if I don’t take them!

(Men are so lucky, they have none of this responsibility).

Kind regards

NicoH
    Participant

Wow- I’ve had a feeling that getting my period every month was causing my outbreaks but thought that it was just due to dampness. Anyone have suggestions for prevention that can be done ahead of a cycle starting?

Calm
    Participant

You could try acyclovir a few days before your period is due?

It is difficult to tell – I thought I had a sanitary pad allergy! (And in fact some brands are worse than others – maybe try organic cotton?)

Wow! I have definitely went through thinking I had a sanitary pad allergy as well. It’s so amazing how many things that you thought were caused by something else all begin to make sense on you are diagnosed with hsv. This has been very helpful! Glad to hear that I am not alone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.