Just diagnosed…. Could use support

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum Just diagnosed…. Could use support

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bunny
    Participant

Just two days ago I got a call from my doctor and he told me I was positive for type 2. Prior to that phone call I made an appointment at urgent care because I noticed a sore it was not painful at all, but I still thought I should get checked. When i got the phone call my heart just dropped it was like the world stopped for me. I cried nonstop for the past couple of days, I just couldn’t bring myself to be okay with this. I’m just constantly thinking of my future with this. Will i ever be able to have a healthy romantic relationship? Will a guy still find me attractive after telling him my status. I just feel like this virus took my beauty away, you know? And what does my future look like as far as having children? I’ve been having very dark thoughts about ending my life but with my family’s support I chosen not to let this virus define me. Its just a lot to process right now because the news is so fresh. I would love advice and support while getting through this.

alwayshopeful
    Participant

I know it seems kind of hopeless right now, but I want to share my story and maybe it can bring some hope to you. I was diagnosed in my mid twenties and when I shared with the person who I believe I got it from they didn’t speak to me for awhile. They were in denial. I was devastated. Because of this I wasn’t very kind to myself, treated myself poorly and when looking for another significant other I didn’t pick out good choices. I even spent time with the original guy once he figured out it was real but he still treated me horrible and I let him because I thought that was al I deserve. I dated a lot of people some getting to the point of having the conversation some not but none of it ever worked out either due to my own insecurities or picking and people because I didn’t feel like I deserved any better. I kind of gave up on dating after the summer when I was 33 and really focused on myself. A ton of self care and realizing my worth and becoming happy with spending time alone and I really enjoyed it. A little after my 34th birthday a friend introduced me to someone and we hit it off. He is amazing and we are still together over a year later. Things that made us work is getting to know each other before the sex and the talk. I choose someone who was a kind person and treated me well. I knew my own worth and stood up for myself, I knew I deserved love and the best and held up my expectations which he continues to meet and he does the same for me. He makes me a better person. So it may seem hopeless but it isn’t. It takes a lot of growing and self reflection but you will realize this doesn’t make who you are. Talk kindly to yourself. If your best friend told you she had this what would you say? Say that to yourself. Be as nice to yourself as you would to your best friend. Best of luck and it will get better!

Bunny
    Participant

Thank you for sharing your story and offering me advice. You don’t know how much that means to me right now because its all still very fresh to me. That is one of my fears, telling the person I’m 100% sure I got it from that I have type 2 and then he doesn’t want anything to do with me. Or he thinks that I’m the one that knowingly passed it to him. I just wish this wasn’t my life right now…. that I could go back in time a few months ago and just do things differently. How did you bring yourself to tell your partner? I just feel like not dating ever again because who is going to take me serious or want a future with someone with this. Hearing your story does shed some light my way and thank you for your kind words and advice. Best of luck to you 🙂

alwayshopeful
    Participant

It’s hard to tell a partner it gets a lot easier after doing it a couple times but rejection is always a possibility. I waited maybe a month of dating and when we dated we dated hard like every moment we could be together we were. I didn’t do it how I wanted to which was have a nice mature conversation. I was just stressed about it and broke down crying and told him. He was very kind about it. The first step in all this I feel is getting to know the person. I have never had someone react badly except the person who gave it to me. Otherwise I always spent time till I trusted them with that fact. When I have shared I have learned that every person has something they are embarrassed of or ashamed of. After I share I have heard about people’s problem with drugs in the past, their DUIs, a secret child, and even once herpes too. In my scenarios everyone has something they are ashamed of or worried to be judged on and it really opens up a relationship to be healthy and Honest. Also having the conversation freed me up to be more open and fun rather worrying about it all the time. The last thing is if I wouldn’t have done it I wouldn’t be so happy right now so in the end it was worth it. It took me a long time and a lot of heartache but it was all worth it!

Bunny
    Participant

As far as dating wise I just look at this like I needed to be mindful about who I give my body to and really get to know the person. So maybe that’s the silver lining in all this for me. But hearing your story I know it can happen for me and not all hope is lost. The right guy will come around and accept me for all my flaws.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.