hsv1- looking for answers

Home Forums Pink Tent Herpes Support Forum hsv1- looking for answers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rosina 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

cowgirl222
    Participant

So I was just diagnosed with HSV-1 today. I’ve been researching online to see how this will affect my life now and I have several questions I’m hoping someone here can help me answer.

1) My initial outbreak was a tiny ulcer on my genitals. I went into the clinic the day after my initial symptoms and got anti-virals and it subsided after a few days. I haven’t had any signs of herpes in my mouth…I don’t think. I had a small bump on the inside of my lower lip but it didn’t hurt in the slightest and went away after a day or so and these bumps are something I have had waaaay before my initial outbreak. Could these bumps in my mouth be from HSV-1 all this time and I just had no idea until it reached my genitals? I guess my first question is, how obvious are oral herpes outbreaks? Could that have been one? And since I have the HSV-1 virus does that mean I will inevitably have an oral outbreak?

2) My second question (the one that originally brought me here) is about how to have sex now. I’m not gonna lie, this diagnosis has probably stopped me from having sex for quite a while just because of the mental component, but I want to be well educated on this topic. In my research I came across the information that non-spermicidal lubricant often has nonoxynol-9 (N-9) which irritates the vagina and can cause outbreaks. I was incredibly irritated to find that its nearly impossible to find information about what products I can use that DO NOT have N-9. I found a certain lubricant that is recommended for people with herpes but I’m more curious about condoms, or condom brands that don’t use N-9. What does “natural” condom mean? Will I always have to use non-lubricated condoms? I know these questions might be dumb but I’m just having a hard time coping with this and I’m finding it stressful that a virus this common is so hard to study 🙁

3) I think one of the hardest most stressful parts about this diagnosis is how to tell my friends and family. I told my twin sister who was very supportive and awesome about it, but I have no idea how to approach it with my friends. I don’t want to share drinks or lipstick or any of that with them anymore to avoid the risk of passing the virus onto them. I realize that this is low risk but I’m trying to be careful. Have any of you told your friends? If so, how? And are there any tips you can give me? I love my friends and I think they’d be supportive but I’m just terrified that they’re going to look at me differently, even though they’re well aware of my sexual history (girl talk and all that). I’m just worried about the social stigma surrounding the virus and I don’t want my friends to see me as “dirty” or a risk to them in any way.

Sorry I know this post is long and I didn’t even realize I had this much to say until I started typing. Thanks for sticking with me this long. Any advice will help! I’m so glad I’ve been able to join this community and read your guys’s stories. It really helps knowing I’m not alone in this. Thanks!

Erin

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  cowgirl222.

Rosina
    Participant

I was diagnosed and dumped on Christmas Eve. I get it. Everything is going around like crazy in your head. I decided to talk with Dr. Kelly on her free consultation. However, before talking with her I joined blogs, positive singles and I joined a meetup group in the area I am from. Not ready to date but I found that it was a great place to be open and unashamed. I told everyone because I needed to I think. It helped me. I have one friend that needs more time with the the information. She could tell I was upset so when she asked how I was doing I said not great. We had a great open talk. Remember a lot of people have it they just haven’t been diagnosed. Lots of misinformation out there. Someone from postive singles told me to come here. I got her book and it’s helping. We are a small tribe but we will get through it together.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.