False Positive? How Likely? Any stories/ Index values

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum False Positive? How Likely? Any stories/ Index values

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    hiyaitsme
    Participant

Hey! I was diagnosed back in March 24 with HSV2. At the time of my appointment I did not have any symptoms and never did prior to my appointment. My index value was 2.48. It was performed by Quest ELISA. I still have NOT had any symptoms at all. I’m waiting until my three month mark to get re-tested, but I’m hesitant to get the Western Blot because it’s so expensive. So I’m considering getting the inhibition assay by Quest. Please keep me updated on your journey!

Yola
    Participant

Western blot test is top of the line test for HSV 2. It is a bit pricey and only Washington university does the testing. I am doing mine in june.

My ex tested negative btw. He got retested again
    And he and I had issues in our 5 year relationship 2 years into it the sex stopped due to health reasons on his behalf.

We had sex in august and november. And that’s it. The blood test date back 12-16 weeks.

I had both IGG and IGM done and got different levels for both.

I’ve come to terms with affecting the diagnosis if I do have it. If I don’t have it well…… I’ll be happy and turn into a nun lol

Look into the western blot.

J
    Participant

What was your IGM? Was it a bump they swabbed?

J
    Participant

@Hiyaitsme How do you go about getting the inhibition assay by Quest? Quest rubs me the wrong way I just dont understand what can be throwing off these tests its crazy.

J
    Participant

@Jynelle consider the Western Blot and get your paperwork from the doctors so you know your index value. The western blot is the golden test that’s 99% accurate its the only real test for herpes. They do the test at the University of Washington, that’s the only place in the United States that does it. Don’t give up girl there’s alot of people out here that aren’t really positive I encourage you to do some research.

Jynelle
    Participant

@J, I wasn’t sure if u were asking me. This may sound silly but I have no idea the difference between igg and igm testing/values. There are no bumps, no lesions ANYWHERE that’s why I’m so confused. I had blood drawn right at the office and that was it. No explanation, no nothing.

Jynelle
    Participant

I want to thank you all for the great information and just the sense of being so kind and willing to talk to me about this. Sisterhood at its finest 🙂

jmeishen
    Participant

Hi guys! I’ve been reading your comments about the testing and now im curious as to if I actually do have the virus. I am pretty sure that I do. At first I was really convinced that it was a severe yeast infection that lead to the sores, but then I started having flu symptoms and I thought that was coming from students at the college I was at that were getting sick but then as I started reading, I saw that flu symptoms were attributed to herpes. I went to the doctor and she said it probably was so I got a blood test done at Quest Health, and they said I tested positive. the reason I am wondering if I’m actually positive is because I’ve never any symptoms with tingling or pain in my legs or shooting pain that usually comes with an outbreak, which I definitely had. I also never got any test results from Quest, just my doctor saying that I was positive. no test results or anything. Is there a chance that it was really just a really bad yeast infection?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by jmeishen.
    Yola
    Participant

Update: correct number for western blot test ordering is 206-520-4600 for confirmatory test.

@jmeishen idk about that. If you have a doubt in your mind get the western blot test done. 254$ out of pocket if you want to know for sure.

I never had any symptoms not even flu like symptoms or pain on thighs.

I did get diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance that was causing me to have frequent yeast infections 3 years ago. I got on birth control and did boric acid suppositories for 6 months and it is under control.

It’s always good to get a 2nd opinion go to a new dr get testing redone 3 months after your last test. Or get the western blot.

jmeishen
    Participant

@YOLA, I am thinking that I should get a second test done once doctors offices open up again.

I also thought that I had hormone imbalance because I did start birth control for the first time ever, and then I did have unprotected sex with one guy, for the first time ever having sex.Then started dating the person I have been with now. The only thing that has changed was my discharge which I read can be a factor of birth control and sex so I have been taking pH supplements which have helped.

Summer
    Participant

Jynelle, the western blot is the golden standard herpes test that is 99% accurate. The thing is, it is only done at the University of Washington in Seattle so it is a process to get it. If you look up the Westover heights clinic, there’s information on the site. I went through the hassle of getting the western blot because I didn’t have any symptoms of HSV2 even though I had a positive Hgg blood test through quest. It is common for false positives with the Hgg blood test and I wanted full closure so I did the western blot for the most accurate answer possible. I am thankful I got it because I now know my result was a false positive. It was definitely a hassle and expensive to get, though. So I would say to look into it but it’ll be a personal decision whether you want to go through with it or not

Jynelle
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Summer
    Participant

Does anyone know how to read private replies? I don’t know how to so I can’t see Jynelle’s last reply

Summer
    Participant

@jmeishen, I’m not sure exactly what symptoms would be characteristic of herpes because I never actually had any symptoms, but regardless I would ask your doctor about the positive blood test result. If it was a herpes HSV antibody Igg test, it is important to know whether it was positive for HSV-1 or HSV-2. Also, the Igg value is important. If you have an HSV-2 Igg value between 1.1-3.5 (they call it a low positive), then it has a high chance of being a false positive. If your doctor had done a swab on the outbreak you were having and it was positive, then it would have a higher chance of being accurate but the blood test is often flawed. It does sound like you had symptoms/sores so it makes sense that your doctor tested for herpes, and there’s a chance the blood test was accurate with these symptoms, but personally I would still look into it just because it’s good to know what type of herpes you have and what your Igg value if there’s any chance it’s a false positive.

hiyaitsme
    Participant

I was diagnosed with HSV2 mid march 2020 with an index of 2.48. At the time of my appointment I went in just for a checkup, I did not have any symptoms. I still do not have any symptoms and its been a few months. I’m very confused if I actually have it or not, as my doctor upon giving me my results mentioned the idea of a false positive result. I plan to get re-tested at the end of the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.