False Positive? How Likely? Any stories/ Index values

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum False Positive? How Likely? Any stories/ Index values

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    J
    Participant

Any false positive hsv2 stories? I believe my results can be false positive my numbers are way too low for me to believe I have it. I took the test Feb 4. My results were 1.41. I recently took again March 25. My results were 1.60 my last sexual encounter was oct 29. The cutoff 1.0 so my numbers are too close plus the cdc says that anything between 1.1-3.5 has a strong chance of being false positive which is crazy to me. I never thought I had it I went to a new doctor and they just so happen to test for it. If y’all could let me know y’all numbers I would be at ease.

Yola
    Participant

I suspect the same thing. My first test was 1.9 the second one a month apart was 2.4. Never had symptoms either and none of my previous sexual partners have it. I am currently waiting 3 month period before I purchase a western blot test to be sure since my insurance will not cover it.

J
    Participant

Hey mamas! I read your thread on here and with your numbers low I dont believe that you could’ve had it for awhile because I feel like if that’s the case your number would high as hell. I talked to a lady on one forum who has it and the numbers she’s gotten have been in the 40.8 like double digits. So I really believe you have a false positive as well. You would be surprised how many people done had a false positive test and there’s people out here that just gave up and really thought they had it. I just spoke to a lady on FB and she thought she had it 13 years ago and she ended up taking another blood test and it was negative. These blood tests are super flawed that’s why it’s not a regular screening cause I get screened often, Pap smear and all and it just so happen this clinic did it and it came out as it. My sister has a friend that has herpes and she knew instantly she had full blown symptoms so I really feel like we good sis.

Yola
    Participant

That’s what I am suspecting too! My dr suggested I get the western blot if I am not having symptoms and a low positive. Which I am investing in. It is just asymtomatic hsv2.

J
    Participant

Do you still have sex? I’ve gave head 2x and had sex 3x with a condom. I strongly believe I don’t have it which is why I continue as normal

Yola
    Participant

I haven’t tried tbh. Being asymptomatic carrier makes me nervous about doing anything with anybody I wouldn’t know when I’m viral shedding(if I have it for real)

I reconnected with my ex and we tried to do stuff WITH A CONDOM ON but he eventually stopped and said ” I’m sorry I just dont want to get the virus” and stopped. After that I was very discouraged and haven’t tried.

Before that it was end of November. 🤷‍♀️
    I’m discouraged about dating or sex at the moment. I’m afraid of rejection if I inform them and if I don’t inform them (as my dr told me not to) I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I didnt inform them of my blood results.

Do you inform your sexual partner(s)?

I think you’re fine as long as you use condoms. If you want to be sure talk to your doctor about a western blot test as I have. You will have to pay out of pocket for it. It’s the golden standard for hsv2 testing per my dr if I want to be absolutely sure.

Summer
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Jynelle
    Participant

So I went to my gyno and requested to be tested for STDs. I was in a relationship for 11 years, no cheating that I’m aware of. I reconnected with an ex from over 20 years ago and we had oral and vaginal sex. I requested testing from my gyno after my “new hook up” just to be safe. I had no symptoms, just thought it was the “normal” thing to do after being sexually active with a new partner, after being in a long term relationship. I have the blood work completed. I receive a phone call from staff saying “your results are fine call us if you need anything “. A few days later I revive another call from gyno doc and she said I was positive for HSV 1 and HSV 2…my world crumbled immediately. How could this be? I’ve never had ANY symptoms. I told my recent “hook up” and he said he would get tested (a month later he tells me he’s “negative “) i don’t know what to think or how to not feel terrible. I have not one single symptom and never have. I’ve read about discouraging testing with no active lesions, etc. but I thought I was doing the right thing by being tested. I don’t remember what I exactly asked the gyno because I was in utter disbelief, but I know she rambled off some numbers and remember her saying something about my “level was 14”. Someone please help me wrap my head around this. I’m devastated, ashamed, and riddled with anxiety.

J
    Participant

Aww I’m sorry about you and your ex and No I don’t inform them but I slipped up last night and didn’t use one and I received oral too I have faith. I plan on taking the western blot I have a kit from them it’s just pricey. When do you plan on taking yours?

J
    Participant

Jynelle love did they give you paperwork with your numbers?

Summer
    Participant

I had a false positive and my number was actually above 3.5. You are right that the blood test is really flawed, there’s a lot of false positives with low positives. Especially at such a low value and no symptoms there is a chance yours is a false positive too 🙂

J
    Participant

Wow! How did you feel? Also what lab did your test and what led you to do another test ? I did mine with Quest Diagnostics

Summer
    Participant

@J My first test was through Quest but I had no symptoms and also knew about the false positives with the Igg blood test so I decided to go through with getting the herpes western blot since it is 99% accurate. When I first received the positive Igg blood test result I was shocked and upset and knew that I needed to do the most accurate test to get closure whether the result was actually positive or negative. I’m really lucky I went through the hassle of getting the western blot or else I would’ve went on living with a false positive without even knowing. Are you considering doing a western blot?

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Summer.
    Jynelle
    Participant

J, I’ve never received any papers/lab results, anything. Just the phone call from staff saying “everything looked good “ then a day later the gynecologist called and told me I had HSV 1 and HSV 2. That was it.

Jynelle
    Participant

What’s the western blot? Is this something I should look into getting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.