Diagnosed at 16

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum Diagnosed at 16

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dr. Kelly
    Keymaster

I am so embarrassed to say that I was diagnosed with herpes when I was 16 years old. It was devastating! It happened after I slept with my boyfriend for the first time. He was my first and I was head over heels in love with him. A few days later I had an outbreak that was so painful, I had to stay home from school. My mother was supportive and she took me to the clinic. I am so grateful to have such an awesome Mom. I cried for days and I never thought I would be normal again. For a while, I got into some drugs and really started to make some poor choices for myself. My grades tanked and I stopped socializing with all my friends. No one understood what was going on with me. I didn’t tell anyone I had herpes and figured if a partner didn’t ask, I didn’t need to tell. Luckily, I never passed it onto anyone, or at least I don’t think I did. Luckily, I rarely got outbreaks and when I did, I would just take it easy until the symptoms passed.

Dr. Kelly
    Keymaster

I can only imagine how challenging it must have been to be diagnosed at the age of 16. I was diagnosed at 23 and it really rocked my world! You are so blessed to have such a suppportive mother. Getting into drugs and other self destructive behaviors is very common for women who are diagnosed, especially at such a young age. I hope that you are taking good care of yourself and treating your body with respect and love. Thank you for sharing your story.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.