Advice/experience on coming off suppressive medication

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum Advice/experience on coming off suppressive medication

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jade_g1504
    Participant

Hello,

I first got diagnosed with HSV-2 about 2 years ago. I was having breakouts every couple of weeks! I went to my GP multiple times before they finally agreed to put me on suppressive medication. I’ve been taking Aciclovir 400mg twice a day for almost 2 years and have just been informed today that they won’t prescribe me anymore until I have had a 6-12 month break completely off the medication. I’m so nervous and upset about this. Since taking the medication, I have only had a couple of outbreaks and it allowed me to almost forget I have this horrible diagnosis. I’m so afraid that the next 6-12 months are going to be breakout central. I don’t know how I’m supposed to date, I feel so alone and depressed about it. I just wondered if anyone else has had experience with being on and then coming off suppressive medication and what was it like? Were your outbreaks better or worse than before you went on the medication? Any advice on this or just general moral support would be extremely appreciated!

graceforever
    Participant

Its a good thing for your health that you are told to have a 6 to 12 months break, cos on the long run, it might affect your kidney. I stopped taking suppressant early and switched to natural med which really is the best and without side effect and I have been free from anything outbreaks for over four months I started taking it. You can write me on gracejohnforever@gmail.com if you want to know about it.

jade_g1504
    Participant

Hi Grace,

Thank you so much for replying. I dropped you an email earlier today with some questions, did you receive it?

lovelost
    Participant

Hi Jade,

Please be careful for scams on here. People will try to sell you products that don’t work. Im afraid to go off my meds as well. Some vitamins you can take which i heard are helpful are zinc, vitamin d, b complex, lysine and acidophilus. I think if you maintain a good diet, keep stress levels low, and take immune boosting supplements you should be fine.

Xo
    Gab

jade_g1504
    Participant

Hey Gab,

Yeah I’m trying not to get sucked in by any scams! I’ve heard they are good supplements too, I have ordered some lysine tablets, 1000mg which arrived today. I’m gonna start taking just one a day and see if that helps, if not, I’ll try 2 a day. I’ve read you can take up to 3mg of lysine a day and it’s quite safe to do so. Fingers crossed it helps a lot! Today is my last day on the meds 🙁

graceforever
    Participant

Hmmmn, quite unfortunate you are thinking that way Gab, I was only trying to give help here. I ain’t gat no product am selling. I thought as family here, we should help one another when we have what can help. Your reply just made me feel bad.

theresa
    Participant

Hey Gab, that’s not nice of you at all, I know you only trying to advice, but you came about it the wrong way. She didnt say if she was the one selling any product. Anyway, I mailed her and told her not to feel bad and discovered she was even talking about a natural med I posted here sometime early last year and it worked for her. Its good we take time to check out about any information given instead of dropping a negative comment about it. One love ladies. Thanks

kaylaw2868
    Participant

How did it go for you coming off medication any time I miss even a day of medication I get a breakout

nolaluz
    Participant

I constantly get outbreaks and what seems to help is taking certain vitamins daily. This has lessened the amount of outbreaks i get and the length of time. I use lysine, ginger root extract in water, vitamin C, echinacea pils or extract and zinc. I also take valtrex but not everyday. I take 4 lysine 1000 2 a day or if on an outbreak or about to start i take like six 3 times a day. I up the echinacea and ginger root too. Hope this helps

jade_g1504
    Participant

Hey, so I’ve been off the meds for about 10 days now and haven’t had a single hint of a flare up coming! If I missed me meds for a day, I would have a flare up too. As soon as my meds ended, I’ve been taking 2000mg of lysine a day, I’ve been taking one first thing in a morning on an empty stomach and last thing at night about 2hrs after I’ve last eaten as apparently it works better on an empty stomach. And so far, it seems to be working and I haven’t had anything! I think it also helps that I’m at the beginning of a very new relationship and I’ve told the guy everything before anything has happened and he’s been amazing and so supportive! So that’s taken away a lot of stress and worry that I was having before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.