2 years with herpes and still struggling with outbreaks

Home Forums Pink Tent Support Forum 2 years with herpes and still struggling with outbreaks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Yuneisy
    Participant

I was diagnosed HSV 1 on my genitals two years ago (August). My boyfriend didn’t know he had it because he didn’t have no symptoms. The first year, I had three outbreaks and took Acyclovir for my fist outbreak. After the first year, I notice the outbreaks has been coming every month, so I went back to the doctor and she gave me Acyclovir again but daily therapy. Took it for several months and still had it every month. Went back to my doctor because it was so painful that I couldn’t work. She gave me valacyclovir 1 gram. I been taking it for 5 months now and didn’t have outbreak for 6 days and it came back.
    I been suffering with outbreaks for almost 10 months now . It’s getting worse.
    Also, it’s been effecting my relationship with him.
    please help

Tam
    Participant

Hiya, I caught hsv2 four years ago this month. My initial outbreak was extreme and like you, I was given acyclovir to clear it up, but every time my course of treatment finished, I’d have another outbreak. I was put onto suppressive treatment, but most of the time had to take double doses as prescribed as my body just couldn’t fight it enough. I am now about 3 months onto just one tablet a day, although have just had an outbreak. More than any lesion or blister, it’s the sense of malaise I get which gets me down. I have changed a lot of my lifestyle to try to get my body well, but I still have work to do. It can really get to me and I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever be well again for more than a few months. My only vice now is a bit of comfort food, but of course bad diet doesn’t help, so it’s a catch 22. Do you also get the malaise? I understand it must be extra difficult as you’re in a relationship and tbh I’m glad I’m not because I couldn’t handle that pressure as well, although I also wish I had the emotional support.

Yuneisy
    Participant

Hi tam, thank you for responding back to me. I stop taking my mediation to see if that was the problem. And I notice my sores are finally healing slowly but surely. I do get malaise sometimes I can overcome it but sometimes I can’t. I was drinking everyday and not doing my daily routine. I try to be positive and it helps. I tell myself, I have another day to fight this and better myself.
    As the relationship, lately its been hard because I can’t forgive him. he isn’t suffering but I am. We decided to take a break mostly for me to find myself love and I still have the support of my friends and my mom.

Tam
    Participant

Hiya, what’s the meds you’ve stopped which has helped? The acyclovir? I understand that bit about it being difficult to keep a healthy routine. I’m the same. A break sounds good from the rel as it was causing stress, no need for even more stress is there?

BeLove
    Participant

Hello, ladies. I am on Valacyclovir and it is not helping me. I had been diagnosed last April and took it then which seemed to clear up but not completely, just not as bad and it was tolerable. Now I have it again in the extreme and have been taking this med for about a month and have added it to 3 pills (1g) per day for the last 3 days.

What drug did you stop taking and it made it better? I wish you ladies all the best!

Tam
    Participant

Hi there – I’ve got Acyclovir 400mg tablets (I’m in the UK – I’m not sure if this is a US or UK site?!). For a long time I was taking 2 tablets both morning and evening as my body/immunity just couldn’t seem to cope with the virus and although I wasn’t having visible outbreaks, I could feel it trying to breakout. About 3 months ago I’d finally got down to just one tablet in the morning, but I’ve just had a fairly bad outbreak, so have had three days taking 6 tablets a day. I wonder if for some the meds don’t work? What was your immunity like before catching the virus? What’s your lifestyle / stress / emotional life like? I think these things impact on how well my body copes with the virus (or doesn’t!!) x

Yuneisy
    Participant

I stop taking valacyclovir 1 gram one tablet a day. I notice when I stop taking it , my sores were finally healing and not coming back the next day.

BeLove
    Participant

Yuneisy, thank you for the information. I may decide to not take it for a couple of days.

Tam, I was overall very healthy and active, working out but I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2017 and went through chemotherapy which was very hard on my system. I had implants and developed an autoimmune problem with them and had them removed just after my diagnosis of herpes last April. So having another huge outbreak may be related to my body still trying to get healthy.

I am not sure if the meds stop working over time and am looking for answers. This is only the second time I’ve had an outbreak and with valacyclovir. The doc also prescribed acyclovir cream when I called to tell her I had no relief yet. It is actually used for cold sores, haha. Not sure that is even helping either.

Tam
    Participant

Hey BeLove, sorry to hear about your cancer, you’ve definitely had your fair share. I also had implants removed (I’m not sure if you mean you had implants before your breast cancer or after), so we’re two for two lol. So tricky as I’m not sure there’s one answer – I think for some perhaps an outbreak will occur regardless of a healthy immune system….?!

BeLove
    Participant

Hello, Tam. I got the implants after having a double mastectomy following my chemo regime. I have now stopped meds and am trying lysine as I saw it was helping another person here on the forum. I think I might be a tiny bit better, who knows? I had thought many times over the last 6 weeks I was getting better, then wham, it is full blown again.

Sending you positive healing vibes!

Tam
    Participant

Good luck with the lysine, I hope you find what works for you 🙂

BeLove
    Participant

Thank you,Tam! I think it has been almost a week on the lysine, not sure if it is helping just yet. Someone in another post said they’d heard that 1000mg of Vit. C will help clear it up and also keep from more flare ups so I am looking into buying some to try. At this point, I’ve thrown everything at it, haha.

madelinemay25
    Participant

Ladies, I can’t speak for any of you but I can say that our experiences are so similar if not all of the same symptoms but hit or miss ones. I have had this for some time and I mentally struggle with the what if’s and why’s and when’s because I don’t know how I allowed a person who claimed to love me invade my life. I tried not to think about it but then when I would see a cute guy or someone would seem interested I would have to remind myself of my situation that I wasn’t completely owning yet. The outbreaks for me no matter what I tried, medication, lysine, vitamin C ect, did not help. Then one day I was in so much pain, I started researching natural creams and started with one natural cream then another. I remember the day that I was in agony from itching and constantly changing underwear from being so raw from the itching that I started mixing different things until I made a cream that allowed me to find vaginal CALM-NESS in my itchy storm!!

Tam
    Participant

Hey BeLove – how did you get on with just the lysine?

Madeline – I do wonder if the medication just isn’t as effective on some. I’ve stopped mine altogether to see what happens. I’ve had one outbreak, but it went quite quickly. Will see what happens…would be nice to be off the meds if I can. Good luck!

madelinemay25
    Participant

Tam, I really believe we all react differently to the medications, vitamins,etc. Our experiences are all different as well. My outbreaks had changed so many times that I started logging my changes and things that could possible trigger my outbreaks. I did not have success with the medication after two really committed attempts to see if they would reduce or eliminate outbreaks. I eventually created my own natural cream that has kept me outbreak free and in a very good space.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.