Topic: hsv1- looking for answers
So I was just diagnosed with HSV-1 today. I’ve been researching online to see how this will affect my life now and I have several questions I’m hoping someone here can help me answer.
1) My initial outbreak was a tiny ulcer on my genitals. I went into the clinic the day after my initial symptoms and got anti-virals and it subsided after a few days. I haven’t had any signs of herpes in my mouth…I don’t think. I had a small bump on the inside of my lower lip but it didn’t hurt in the slightest and went away after a day or so and these bumps are something I have had waaaay before my initial outbreak. Could these bumps in my mouth be from HSV-1 all this time and I just had no idea until it reached my genitals? I guess my first question is, how obvious are oral herpes outbreaks? Could that have been one? And since I have the HSV-1 virus does that mean I will inevitably have an oral outbreak?
2) My second question (the one that originally brought me here) is about how to have sex now. I’m not gonna lie, this diagnosis has probably stopped me from having sex for quite a while just because of the mental component, but I want to be well educated on this topic. In my research I came across the information that non-spermicidal lubricant often has nonoxynol-9 (N-9) which irritates the vagina and can cause outbreaks. I was incredibly irritated to find that its nearly impossible to find information about what products I can use that DO NOT have N-9. I found a certain lubricant that is recommended for people with herpes but I’m more curious about condoms, or condom brands that don’t use N-9. What does “natural” condom mean? Will I always have to use non-lubricated condoms? I know these questions might be dumb but I’m just having a hard time coping with this and I’m finding it stressful that a virus this common is so hard to study 🙁
3) I think one of the hardest most stressful parts about this diagnosis is how to tell my friends and family. I told my twin sister who was very supportive and awesome about it, but I have no idea how to approach it with my friends. I don’t want to share drinks or lipstick or any of that with them anymore to avoid the risk of passing the virus onto them. I realize that this is low risk but I’m trying to be careful. Have any of you told your friends? If so, how? And are there any tips you can give me? I love my friends and I think they’d be supportive but I’m just terrified that they’re going to look at me differently, even though they’re well aware of my sexual history (girl talk and all that). I’m just worried about the social stigma surrounding the virus and I don’t want my friends to see me as “dirty” or a risk to them in any way.
Sorry I know this post is long and I didn’t even realize I had this much to say until I started typing. Thanks for sticking with me this long. Any advice will help! I’m so glad I’ve been able to join this community and read your guys’s stories. It really helps knowing I’m not alone in this. Thanks!
- This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by cowgirl222.
Topic: HSV1 and disclosure
Hello all, this is my first post. I did a routine blood panel for STI’s and asked to make sure a bunch of tests were run including for Herpes. Came back positive for HSV1 but not HSV2. I was told that HSV1 could be just oral or both oral and genital…not sure if it can be just genital? In any case, how is one to find out if it’s genital or not? Do you disclose if you are HSV1 but not HSV2? I have no symptoms on or in mouth and never had. I can only gather that I’ve contracted it somehow in the last 8 years because my son is 8 and I was tested when I was pregnant for everything and everything was negative. I’m not that sexually active…aside from some make outs with my ex boyfriend that i’ve known 20 years. So do I tell everyone that I have HSV1. What is the standard protocol or is there one? Also is there a way to find out if it’s oral vs. genital or both? thanks. any advice would be helpful.
Topic: A new beginning
Yesterday I was diagnosed with genital herpes and here is my story. I am a 19 year old student at Bloomsburg University of PA. I have become quite a drinker since high school and have been permiscuous and negligent. I slept with someone I trusted, and he told me he was recently checked and is clean. Two days later I started getting painful symptoms. For some reason my initial outbreak was so severe that I went to the hospital. I have sores on my anus, butt, and inside/outside of vagina. I also feel sick and can’t get rid of this awful headache. The headache is like the worst I’ve ever had. I can’t even use the bathroom without crying from the pain of urine and wiping. The part that bothers me is that the man who gave me this disease was my “friend” and he was super nice and caring and I felt like he was genuine. But I’m reality, he was just trying to get into my pants. I feel violated. And dirty. And scared. The love of my life & I are in an open relationship and we have been together since high school. Idk how I’m going to tell him. I hate this. I’m scared of medicine and illnesses so it makes it even worse. I’m gonna try to look at it in a different light as time goes on. I want to learn from my mistake and hopefully get forgiveness from the man I love and have a monogamous relationship. I really hope he will look past the herpes and still be with me. I also will need to quite drinking so much. I feel like I deserved this. But idek what to think or feel yet.
Back in the beginning of August I was diagnosed with Herpes type two. The way in which I was diagnosed was extremely difficult.
Prior to meeting my partner who I received HSV2 from I had not been out on a date/relationship in close to a year. Wanted to get back out there again. We met and talked for close to three weeks before becoming intimate.
A week later I became very ill. High fever, body aches and chills and my lower abdomen hurt. I was send to the hospital after five days of symptoms not subsiding.
The doctors wanted to keep me over the weekend, do to an Ovarian cyst or and infection in my fallopian tube. They ran me for the most common STD ; trig, clap and gino. all came back negative.
The reason they kept me over night is that my white blood count was not at the right level. Night two of being in the hospital my throat began to throb and my lymphnos on my neck were extremely swollen.
Right before leaving the hospital (a totally of 4 days) they ran a viral culture on my throat. With 48hours i received results that my test on my throat came back as herpes.
Of course once I started reading about Herpes I wanted to know which kind. I took a blood test and it stated in the IgG test was that my index was 7.42 which suggested I had a early infection of HSV 2.
Two days later I received more results stating that I recently tested positive for HSV 1 and 2 in the IGM phase of the reaction. Also stating both HSV1 and 2 share many cross reacting antigens. Elevated titers to both HSV1 and 2 may represent cross reactive HSV antibodies rather than exposure to both HSV 1 and 2.
What does that mean? Do I have both? I have no idea. Its been over a month and I have had no vaginal outbreak and no sore throat. My only outbreak was in my throat. Can i pass it orally and vaginally? Or just orally because thats where my only outbreak was.
I am considering going back to the doctors for more test and more answers. I am just still so confused and frustrated.
Thank you for reading, i know i was long. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
- This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Elizabeth.
Topic: HSV & HPV
Hello all! I am new to the site and this forum, but am excited to find a safe place full of like-minded people. I have had HSV2 and was recently diagnosed with HPV too. I feel alone and was wondering if anyone else suffers from two STDs with physical symptoms? How do you build yourself back up to be a confident woman?
I had sex only once. Only once with a condom. The guy who I had sex with told me very specific he was clean but yet , I got horrible symptoms of burning pain when I pee and inflammation of the vagina. I thought it was just a yeast infection until about 4 days later, I notice painful bumps. And that’s when I knew I need a doctor. Right when I spread my legs for her to see, she confirms I have contracted genital herpes. This all happened yesterday. Since last week I have been stressed and haven’t eaten or slept. My parents don’t know I contracted the herpes. All I could do is cry. I am 19 years old, waiting so long to have sex, had sex with a condom, and yet, I am one of the unlucky few. Right when I heard the news, I immediately thought of ways to kill my self. This pain is indescribable both physically and emotionally. I can’t pee without screaming and I can’t walk or go to work without feeling like there were fire ants in my pants. It’s been one day and I still feel like I’m dying, like I won’t recover, that I won’t ever find love. I still can’t eat or sleep. I got meds from my doctor but the idea that I contracted this incurable illness even after taking all the safety precautions makes me want to die, and I don’t know how to go on and be okay.
Exactly one year ago I gave birth to my second son. My husband and I were thrilled. About four weeks after he was born I noticed the symptoms. I thought maybe something had gone wrong during delivery but no it was herpes. When my doctor asked if I knew how I got it, I said yeah my husband occasionally had gotten this rash for the past ten years and every time he went in to be seen they told him it was a yeast infection and gave him cream. Turns out he has been infected for 10 years and didn’t realize it. I was extremely angry. I felt like I am mark with something horrible. Instead of enjoying this new life we created I was miserable. Fast forward one year, I just discovered I am pregnant again. I was taking the pill and still got pregnant. Normally I would be excited except I am not. I’m mad that I will have to talk about this disease every time I go for an OB check. I’m mad that I may not be able to deliver naturally like my other two deliveries. I will resent my husband a great deal if I end up having to have a C-section. I take Valtrex and that helps to some extent. But I’m absolutely terrified about going through this pregnancy. All I have heard is that herpes will be non stop during pregnancy. Any information or experiences anyone has had would be appreciated.
Viewing 15 results - 1 through 15 (of 479 total)
Viewing 15 results - 1 through 15 (of 479 total)